CC 3 Review Questions-Endocrinology (Answers to Quiz)
1. Major difference of a hormone from an enzyme.
A hormone is an initiator of biochemical reactions, while an enzyme is a catalyst.
2. The hormone tested in pregnancy test
Human Chorionic Gonadotropic Hormone (HCG)
3. Hormone responsible for contraction of uterus during the birthing process.
4. Also called somatostatin
Growth Hormone Inhibitory Hormone (GHIH or GHIF)
5. Also called the master gland
6. Function of FSH
7. Hormone that helps retain water or maintain water-electrolyte balance
Antidiuretic hormone (ADH), aldosterone
8. Amino acid base of thyroid hormones
9. Anterior pituitary hormones
FSH, ACTH, FSH, LH, PrL, GH
1. 3 Hormones produced by thyroid gland
T3, T4, calcitonin
2. Major carrier protein of thyroid hormones
3. Where is acridinium ester used in TFT?
4. 3 carrier proteins for thyroid hormones
Albumin, TBPA, TBG
5. Pathway for T3, T4 secretion.
T3, T4 concentration acts as the stimulus for increased or decreased TRH secretion. TRH acts on anterior pituitary to increase or decrease secretion of TSH. TSH stimulates the thyroid gland to increase or decrease secretion of T3 and T4 returning their concentrations back to normal and homeostasis is achieved.
6. Solve for FTI if TT4 = 10 mg/dL, and THBR = 20%
FTI = TT4 X THBR
FTI = 10 X (20/30)
FTI = 6.67 mg/dL
7. Two methods for T3.T4 test
RIA, EMIT, EQUILIBRIUM DIALYSIS ,ETC.